[Insert cliche party-bang joke here]

On a rather more critical note, experimented with a new frame method while I was making this comic. Normally, the pages are a selection of similar or identically-sized rectangles neatly packed together. The black borders around each section are the frames. Quite on a whim I made a new layer and called it “experimental” and came up with this alternative view. It involved putting a big page-sized rectangle over everything and then selectively cutting new shapes out of it to reveal the action underneath, while the dialogue bubbles stayed above the experimental layer (Because I put it below the Dialogue layer, naturally), similar to how I made the frames in page 45.

Still not quite like reading a professional graphic novel but looks quite good in my opinion, though I’d like your (the reader’s) input before I go ahead with it more regularly.

It took next to no time for me to do, so let me know if you prefer this new frame style over the existing one.

1. i didn’t understand what you meant as far as the experimental frame method but the quality of this comic seems improved. It might be that i’m a sucker for changing angles but meh. It still looks cool.

Comment by Kumosabe — April 15, 2010 @ 12:52 am

2. Hmm, I liked the alternative view. Variant panel sizes are nice.

Whenever I try to write OotS style comics (which I never end up posting on the GiantITP forums, unfortunately) I just use a huge rectangle, divide it up into variously-sized sections (the panels) and then draw inside them (or copy-paste character templates). Then again, that method takes a lot of time, and I use Adobe Illustrator; I don’t know what everyone else uses to make these comics (although I’m pretty sure The Giant uses Illustrator too).

Comment by dragongirl13 — April 15, 2010 @ 2:49 am

3. Sooo…. are they blowing themselves up or something?

Comment by mem — April 15, 2010 @ 6:38 am

4. That seems…inefficient.

Comment by Nutty — April 16, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

5. One rookie for four? Sounds pretty efficient to me.

Albeit in a very stupid, morbid way.

Comment by Kumosabe — April 17, 2010 @ 9:53 pm