In-combat conversations: It’s what’s hip.
So, page 6. I’m not above admitting when I’ve made mistakes, and page 6 is an example of a rather significant one. I still think the idea was good, and even whilst drawing it I repeatedly noted it would have been better in legitimate, actual, motion than frozen or time-lapsed in a comic frame, but the way I actually did it was sub-par at best even then.

I could have done better by shrinking the view and adding motion lines to the gates to better show what is going on, which would have better shown one gate rotating onto its side and moving infront of the mage and the other rotating flat and moving behind him. As it stands, the sheer bulk of the gates makes it difficult to actually see what is happening in that pivotal frame.

I’ve done almost 300 pages using the traditional standardised frame layout, so this is still a pretty big and drastic departure from my artistic history. As a consequence there are bound to be some teething problems and issues cropping up, of which I count page 6. On the whole though, 7 pages in I still think it’s a very significant improvement and I intend to stick with nonstandard frame layouts and greater expand my artistic variety in effects and perspectives and such. I’m an untrained and completely self-taught artist and it’s a wonder I’ve gotten as far as I have already.

Perhaps strangely then, take a look here at frame 4, then go back to Book 2 - Page 27.

Notice something familiar? That’s right, rather strangely the artwork for page 28’s 3rd frame is used almost entirely unchanged in the 4th frame here. It certainly surprised me to find a pre-existing piece of art in Remember fully suited and reasonably up to date for this page, so far back in the archives. I’ve virtually disowned my artwork in the earliest Books and it generally makes me cringe to look at it but here’s some proof that I did make advances far earlier on than I originally thought.

1. This comic is still a little hard to follow (I had to re-read it several times) but it’s definitely an improvement from the last page. What are the black circles in Panel 4? And what’s happening in panel 5? The rest is understandable, though it could still use some refining.

Also, your archive link doesn’t work, and Book 4 is misplaced, being placed before the most recent one.

Comment by Mad Mask — August 12, 2010 @ 12:40 am

2. It would appear he’s using the gate to block the still-being-fired bolts.

Comment by The Gremlin — August 12, 2010 @ 4:54 am

3. I think senorita morado, who we can finally caall “mayhex” is casting the little black circles, yes? Shadowy bomb type things? Although, whether she survives crashing into the building remains to be seen. These new spellcasters don’t seem as intent on plans as the old ones…

Comment by Secunda — August 12, 2010 @ 10:27 am

4. Actually, I don’t mean to be raining on your parade, but page 6 was much more understandable than this page (at least from panel 4 onwards). I’m guessing that the little black circles are rocks (or other objects easily thrown) with darkness cast on them. But they could be bomb things too.
    On the other hand, I’m glad the telekinetic isn’t getting all of the glory. He was getting kinda over-special.
    But what I’m wondering is, (in the fifth panel) is the gate just full of crossbow bolts (that the elves fired at the door/in a volley at the person standing behind it), or is it moving? What’s with the horizontal(ish) black lines that seem to be attached to the door? Are those spears?
    The last panel is the most confusing… but hopefully everything will become clear in the next pages.
    On another note, I commend you for trying out a new artistic style. Just take the mouth notes into consideration… they’re much too creepy.

Comment by Gark — August 12, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

5. The black lines are motion lines…as is the case in every other frame I’ve ever done…including frame 5 here…

They’d be black in frame 1 too but they really looked harder to distinguish against the gate itself there, hence white.

Comment by Lying — August 12, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

6. Perhaps if you made them blue, like in OOTS?

I also recommend decreasing the saturation of the grass and those purple pillars in the last panel. A small shadow beneath the roof would not be unwelcome either.

On the positive side of things, the blur on the background in the first panel adds quite a nice touch. It would be great if you used it more often (if it doesn’t murder your processor too much :P).

Comment by Mad Mask — August 12, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

7. I think that’s the first time you’ve done the ‘watch out for that ____’ joke.

Nice! =D

Comment by Kumo — August 12, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

8. I like the art style, but I think… it’s not suited for such an action-movie ish style. If I may, I think you’ve been watching too many films

Comment by Secunda — August 13, 2010 @ 8:13 am

9. forgot to mention this, i love the wind effects the telekinetic has when the door flies past XD

Comment by Kumo — August 13, 2010 @ 5:18 pm