Page 2 – The End

Page 2 – The End

Hold for applause. Drop curtain.

A page nearly 7 years in the making. Wow.

I won’t deny that I got very emotional making this page. I ruminated over the writing of it a bit but the worst of it hit me while I was actually sitting down to draw it. As erratic as my update schedule has gotten in more recent years, I generally finish a page within a couple hours. This one took me most of a day.

At every step, I was thinking to how I got here. I started drawing Remember in November of 2007, as a forum thread on the Giant in the Playground forums, spinning off of the Avatar Battle Royale sub-community there. I haven’t been back there in years, but I still have the new post alert emails and I took a break from drawing this page at one point to just go back there and say thank you. The folks I met in those 35 discussion threads alone have, knowingly or otherwise, had a profound impact on my life. I don’t remember most of their names off-hand, but I did let whoever among them is still around that, hey, I’m grateful for their involvement in my life, however small it may have seemed.

I really had to take a moment to myself when I started the penultimate frame here. I pulled up my camera-facing template of Lying, got rid of its default expression, and then I plonked the smile on him. And I just, immediately, froze in my tracks. I’ve known this character for almost a decade, I’ve seen him go from someone who was my age when I started and now he has a family, he has a vast array of friends, he has literally been through hell and back. I’ve done horrible things to him, I’ve injured him, I’ve tortured him, I’ve been the architect of every bad day he’s ever had.

And there he was, smiling at me.

I’m tearing up right now just thinking about it, but I owe a debt of gratitude to every character in this story. The past 7 years have been some of the darkest and the hardest of my life, with so many problems and so many uphill struggles, and they’ve been with me every step of the way. They smiled when I couldn’t, they fought when I wanted to give up, and when I had to start slowing down updates they waited patiently to jump into position. Not one of them ever abandoned me and I can’t think of a single one who would want to.

I’ll miss writing Sildyu. I’ll miss drawing Rain. I’ll miss everyone really. I’ll miss Lying most of all perhaps, because it’s his name that so many of my friends refer to me by these days. I’ll never forget how much they all meant to me, every one.

And so it is, on this threshold to something new, I shed a tear in an empty room, typing on my keyboard. A tear of sadness knowing that I’ll be moving forward into new prospects without the wonderful people I’ve had the privilege to share with everyone, and a tear of joy knowing that they were there at all.

Feel free to go back through the archive and see how I got here, and keep watch of my Twitter for first light of any news on what follows. I don’t intend to stop writing, I don’t intend to stop drawing, and I don’t intend to stop making people smile.

Thank you.

1. Heh. This one was even perfectly on time, I think. Bit of a rarity, lately. If fitting.

Comment by Nutty — August 28, 2014 @ 10:41 pm

2. Sir, its been a wild and amazing ride, please keep us informed of the next great project.

Comment by The Sleepy Duck — August 29, 2014 @ 5:46 am

3. Hey. I don’t know if you still remember me, but I just wanted to say I’ve been reading Remember since pretty much day one it appeared on GITP. It’s very nice to see how far you’ve gotten with it. Over these 7 years, you’ve given us a great backstory to great characters and settings, and made it seem even more impressive. It’s really inspiring.

I’m not good with words, so I’ll just say this: I know it’s sad to see this go, but at the same time I’m very happy for you to be able to finish something that you really care for. Many, including myself, have tried doing something like this and eventually lost interest in doing altogether or had obstacles that prevented progress. I’m very happy to see you overcome the obstacles that many couldn’t.

Thank YOU for these 7 years to Remember. :)

– Omicroncubed

Comment by Omicroncubed — August 29, 2014 @ 9:11 am

4. So this is it. I’ve followed this comic since the beginning and it’s been my one of my last ties to the wonderful world that was Avbaroy.

Congratulations on doing this all the way to the end.

Comment by Mad Mask — August 30, 2014 @ 9:30 pm

5. 17 hours ago i found out the comic had ended
    at this point of time i have finished the hole thing, page one to epilogue page 2
    and at this moment i am getting feels i rarely have
    even to listen to the stream of Yogdwarfs and put in where im up to
    Lyinginbedmon or Tim if you prefer,From all the minds that dwell in my head that arnt trying to destroy Edgington, thank you for a marviouless read and a grand story
    i will remember

Comment by Sawtooth44 — August 31, 2014 @ 1:02 am

6. While I have to confess that I kind of lost track of parts of the plot, and the end might not have as great an impact on me as it would if I had the time to sit down and re-read it all, I still want to congratulate you on finishing this magnificent thing.
    (The last line is just fantastic :D)

Comment by re_curly — September 1, 2014 @ 8:35 am